Saturday, February 5, 2011

Snowgeddon 2011

That’s what it’s being called.  A bit trumped up, if you ask me.  Nothing like ‘77 & ‘78.  But bad enough that I got my first adult snow day off from work.  Ever.  That was kinda cool.  Finally figured out with the help of my bro that the heat pump was not set right & was set to always being in use instead of calling the furnace when it got too cold.  Except the house still isn’t above 62.  So the heating people think maybe an element is bad.  Great. Really wasn’t looking forward to that.  I’ll have to dip into the laptop replacement fund I’m sure.  Big sad face.  The silver lining is that it really hasn’t been too uncomfortable so maybe I won’t jack it up to 68 when it’s all fixed.  That’s where I normally have it. Not sure if it would make a huge difference in the electric bill or not.  I think maybe I have finally really become an old person if all I do is gripe over my electric bill….sigh…. Dad talked to Mr. Burns about my windows & the fact that they have no storm windows.  He said if they are good windows, you don’t need storm windows.  What are my luck they are not good?  He said they probably just need to be “adjusted” whatever that means, but I trust the guy as he is good, old order stock.  So I guess add that to the list.  Looks like I’m just not destined to get a new laptop, ever….

Maybe my tax refund, if I get one…. Sigh…why does it seem just when you’re climbing out of the hole, someone is up top to kick you back in?  Friends of mine are doing the Dave Ramsey thing.  I like the concept, but how it the world would one ever go to college, own a house or a car?  I don’t think it is possible.  Based on some people’s incomes, like those who are in the $10-$15/hour range, it would take their entire lives to save up even for a $50,000 house.  What are you supposed to do in the mean time?  Perhaps other cultures have it figured out better with multi-generational homes.

And my vacuum is going on the fritz.  So what would Dave say?  He would say save until you can spend cash.  But what are you supposed to do about the floor until then?  Pick it all up by hand?  Brooms don’t work so great on carpet.  I see why it’s called a slippery slope…. Maybe Monday my furnace will just be a quick fix.  They could have come over the weekend, but it was like a $175 emergency charge.  I’m getting cheap in my old age.  Well, guess you all can just wear 3 sets of PJs cause momma’s going to wait!  Maybe my vacuum will hold on a bit longer.  Just seems like all my thoughts are money-based these days.  Don’t much like that.  Well, I mean, I try to be mindful, but I don’t want it to be the only thing I’m thinking of, you know?  I want to be responsible, be a good steward and be able to provide for my family.

Today, we had to schlep into town to go to Walgreens, Kroger & the Laundromat.  Last time 007 slept in my bed, he wet it.  Luckily last time I was at Target I got a new mattress pad that is waterproof as I was tired of not having one & that happening & then trying to clean the mattress.  But… my comforter got hit.  And it’s a king size, which does not fit in my poor little laundry machine.  And the last time I did it I used at 30# which was not big enough as part of it was still dry when I took it out.  Soooo….. I found a #35 and for $4.00 it did get very wet, and apparently clean.  Then .75 to dry.  But it wasn’t really dry.  I was tired of not being home so we came home & I laid it out on the bed.  And discovered that it wasn’t really quilted the way I thought it was & all the batting was in a good bunch.  So I had to try and stretch that back out.  And so it is now providing humidifier services upstairs.

And I’m trying to get everyone to start going to bed earlier as I’m going to try and start the 7 am shift on Tuesday.  Well, it would be Monday but they are supposed to be here between 8-10 to look at said furnace.  Which I thought was a Bryant, but it is a Lennox.  Hope that doesn’t mess stuff up.  I asked Sunshine if he could still come in at 7 on Monday but he did not give me much of an answer.  I need to let my boss know too.  Luckily, I can still do tickets here at home so that should be helpful, especially if I let Hobbit know he’s got the phones till I get there.  And I’ll need to call Cheryl to let her know I won’t be there.  I’ve been thinking of dropping down to every other week anyway.  Just seems right.  And it saves a bit of $$.  But I think she’s worth it.

Read a bit more in the book & it talked about contempt. Yea, I got tons of that, so I need to do more reading & working on that.

Thursday I did get my little pedal exerciser thing.  It was really cool when I tried it out.  30 minutes & I had done like 2800 “stokes” and like 400 calories.  Seemed hard to believe that it was that many calories as I was not even sweating.  And I read ½ of a magazine.  Maybe it will be correct & I can actually trim up a bit.  My pants are fitting badly and that is not a good sign.  Do not want to go bigger.  Just want to be in shape & not have undie dents on my belly.

Well, time to go to bed, I’m worship leader in the AM presuming I don’t get stuck in the driveway.

No comments: