Friday, January 21, 2011

Vacation life

Last year we went to St. Louis for vacation.  I’ve always been facinated by Meso-American cultures, so I was delighted to learn of a protected area that had been a Mississipean settlement.  Now known as Cahokia Mounds…  We also went to Grant’s Farm & a very cool sculpture park.

I know this doesn’t look like it is very tall, but from this point you’ve already climbed up farther than what is left….  And it was like the hottest day at about 95.  It is called Monk’s Mound & from the top you are rewarded with this most excellent view…

I

It was a bit hazy but I think you can tell how beautiful it is!

008 is very helpful with the maps.  Hard to believe someone else is now almost that age…. They act so differently!  B was so responsible then.  Z is so….well…. not!

On the way we stopped by the Lincoln Log cabin to stretch our legs & see cool old things.  At the gift store they had to get these giant pennies & big twig pencils.  Check out the no teeth grin on 005!

This sculpture was absolutely huge and so totally cool!

Peek-a-boo!  I loved the park because it was completely kid-oriented.

The all-seeing eye…..(Mordor anyone….)

These pits are actually a face.  008 is in an eye, 005 in the nose….

We had stayed in Terre Haute the night we left & the part I love about vacations is getting at least 1 breakfast at McDonalds…  Don’t you like the pained “please no more pictures!  We just started vacation!” I just love the big grin!  He had (when he was all done) 6 teeth missing up front at the same time!

At Grant’s Farm 005 started warming up to feeding the animals.  He’s always been so afraid.  I’m glad it was a very gentle donkey for his first one.  He decided it wasn’t so bad.

And why does every place have to have one of THESE!?!?!?!

2 comments:

Katie said...

The lincoln log cabin looks awesome I will have to keep that in mind for my next trip to St. Louis.

Benzilla Scrapping said...

It was very small, but it was really pretty, reminded me a bit of Connor Prairie as they had people in period dress taking care of it. You could just walk around & see things. I know I took other pictures of it, they're probably out on Flickr.