Friday, November 6, 2009

whadda day...

So I met with the pastor regarding my message.  She liked it.  I have a bit more I want to flesh out yet.  It read at 10, I’d like to get it just a wee bit longer.  I’m going to have my bro, the ex-pro check it out tomorrow since he’s here in town.

Then I went to FISH to pack.  We did 8 families.  What a surprise to find out that Trinity Lutheran Church & Thrivent financial had donated a bunch of reusable shopping bags jammed packed (is that just a hoosier-ism I wonder?) with hygiene and cleaning supplies, at least $20 per bag, wow!

Then it was off to see sweet little 000 (of course what else to call him at 9 weeks?!?!?) while gramma did some grocery shopping.  Ooooo, that was so much fun.

Then I did my own grocery shopping at the local Kroger.  Ok, so here comes the rant.  I’m sure you were waiting for it.  Kroger, oh dear Kroger, can you please gift to all of your employees enough company shirts so that they can wear a different (and presumably clean one) shirt for each day they work.  He was ripe.  And I don’t mean like a fruit. He had to be miserable.  Either that, or he needs to do laundry more often.

We had supper at the parental units so that grampa could take them swimming and I stayed to balance their accounts and get that stuff squared away.  For those of you who are unfamiliar, my mom, who used to do ALL that stuff, has suffered irreparable damage to her brain from the radiation treatments over the years.  My dad, after 40 years, has forgotten how to do it all.  So that is where I come in.  My advice, if your parents are 65ish or more.  Get to know them.  Really well.  Like where they spend their money, where they keep their wills.  What insurance coverage they have and DON”T have.   Who their agents are.  What reoccurring bills they have. What retirement funds they have.  Who their doctors are & why they see them. How they pay their bills.  DO NOT WAIT until it is too late.  I cannot say this enough or strongly enough.  I have had to learn more about medical reimbursement plans, medicare, supplemental insurance and the way my parents spend their money than I really care to.  Sometimes it feels as though I violate their privacy, but I am honored they trust me.  But, and here’s the big thing, I know I’m prepared if something happens to one of them.  And in that moment I don’t have to worry about all the little insignificant details such as did the house/car/insurance payment get made, because I know it did, and I can worry about what I really need to worry about at that point. Cause trust me, you’re not going to care about it right then, nor should you have to.

Both the boys fell asleep, so I just about killed myself getting them upstairs and then tripping all over the toys, wowza! Ok, tomorrow we may need to do a bit of cleaning.

As many of you know, I started walking at the YMCA this week in town and have totally dug it, not wanted to stop most times.  I didn’t get to go today and I was totally bummed but am thrilled that I did 8 miles more of exercise this week than I did last week, so I’m really looking forward to getting back down there.  And truth be told, my shins could use the break, I think I need better shoes.

elle

No comments: