Monday, October 20, 2014

Just another Manic Monday...

Good morning all!  The boys are still on Fall Break today, which started Friday.  In years' past, they would get Thursday & Friday off for it, which made sense to me. Now they get Friday and Monday.  Not sure I'm a fan just yet.  However, on the up side, it gives us another day together since I am not in school, so I DO like that.

Last weekend we got the storm windows put up.  Took about 13 hours to do.  No joke, a little over an hour per window.  While I had been able to scrape & paint the mudroom windows before Gadget arrived (since there were no storms on those) all the rest had older storms on them and those windows needed scraped and painted too, which I guess I did not ever evaluate them for that.  In addition, the mudroom windows had goo & gunk all over them that kept them from sliding and while I had picked out an enormous amount already, we found plenty more that needed to come out.  And we found that one of them wasn't even on the track, which explained the big gap they thought they needed to fill with silicone.  So we spent some time removing them from the track, sanding off the gunk, gluing where necessary & lubing back up a bit.  They actually operate now.  Probably the first time in 30 years!

The living room window also required major reconstruction, as well as a gigantic hole fill.  I wonder now if that explains why it was always so drafty?  There was a hole from in the frame into the wall cavity, on the top edge.  Crazy!

It is amazing how much of a difference matching windows makes with how the house looks.  I was surprised.  They look great!  They had to all be custom ordered at Menards (I found out last week that the local Builder's Mart also carries them, so now I feel a bit of chagrin, I do like to shop local instead!).

We've already had a couple of really windy days, and you cannot hear the wind in the house any more.  Totally spooky!  So I am hoping it will make a bit of difference in the electric bill.  And there has been far less condensation on all of the windows, especially the mudroom.  Which makes me happy as it was starting to rot out the windows.  We also got them all cleaned on the outside.  So now it is time to clean the inside.

The next "big" project is today, and that is doing the annual shed clean.  I probably won't do as good as a job (or I should say as deep) because it will be just the boys and I and we will only have about 2.5 hours today to get it done, as I have my therapy appointment today, but I figure anything we can get done is better than doing none of it.  It needs at least a good window washing and floor sweeping.  I'd like to sort through a bunch of it and figure out if any of it can be recycled, trashed or donated as well.  I try to do that just to stay on top of things.  And I've acquired some new garden tools that need hanging spots, so we'll take care of that too.  Hopefully it will all turn out great!

Over the weekend, we celebrated 011's birthday at Crazy PinZ in Fort Wayne.  It was a lot of fun!  We played Laser Tag, arcade games and mini golf.  I had no idea my dad was so good at Laser Tag!  Our team won!  013 decided he would like to have his birthday there too.  We had originally tried to go to SkyZone, but open jump was going to be an hour to get in.  We couldn't do the reservation because our group was too small, and the birthday packages are a rip-off and they didn't even have arcade games to play while you waited.  I would have waited if we could have done something other than sit on the bleachers.  As Gadget said, they are not really encouraging me to spend money there.

Oh, and I aced quiz number 4!!!  Yea me!  Really still in need of bodies to work on so give me a call!

Well, have a great day!  I'll chat with you soon!

No comments: