Saturday, December 22, 2012

Dashing through the snow...

Well, I do not have a one-horse open sleigh, or even a horse for that matter, nor has the weather been all that friendly to being outside.  For any reason.  The wind is gone, and for that I am extremely grateful.  It also proves the point that my house needs more isolation.  However, I am just stating a fact, not complaining.  I am very thankful that I had a house to give me shelter, even if it wasn’t as cozy as I would like.  But snuggled down under the blankies it really wasn’t so bad.
Last Sunday I took the boys to go see The Hobbit after Gadget had to return home.  Wow, it has been like 30 years since I read that book & I was surprised at what I did and did not remember.  And of course, they’ve changed the story a bit for Hollywood.  Overall, I thought it was a very good story, and the boys super-enjoyed it.  I had NO IDEA they were making it into parts though, so imagine my surprise when it ended with Smog waking up… Oh that might be a spoiler if you’ve not gone to see it. Sorry.
Last night started my 4 day weekend, yea!  I wrapped presents, watched TV and read LOTR.  The boys were at dad’s house, getting some grampa time, and being warmer, I am sure.  So the DVR got cleaned off a bit, which is always a good thing, presents are under the tree, save the 1 that I am having trouble with because the clay doesn’t want to stay together, and I read (well fell asleep trying!) more out of the Lord of the Rings.  I am afraid it will take me forever, but I have finished The Fellowship and started the Two Towers.  For those of you that don’t know, it’s actually like 6 books all together so to call it a trilogy isn’t really accurate.  Just the movie is.  And I am pleased that it is far more engaging for me at 40+ than it was when I was 14.  I guess that is the way of the world.  Having the movie has really helped it to come alive in my head.  Normally, I prefer reading the book first, but this is one time when I’m glad I had broken that rule.  I introduced the boys to the movie a couple months ago & they fell in love with it.  I’m sure we’ll need to watch it a few more times before it all really starts making sense to them.  I won’t mind.
Gadget comes down today, and due to some bad weather & family sickness, we will be having the combined Thanksgiving & Christmas tomorrow, 12/23, instead of today.  I’ve spoken briefly with Kelli & am delighted to hear she is feeling better. I am saddened that she has been laid off (again) but knowing that she is super-smart & a wonderful woman, I know it will not be long before she sets out on a new adventure.  After Dad’s house, we will make the trek up to Battle Creek for Gadget’s gramma’s celebration, some time with friends, and some time with all the kids.  It should be quite exciting & entertaining.  I hope they all like their gifts!
Well, I must get busy and see if I can fix a clay plane before fetching my sprouts.  Merry Christmas to all, and in Christ’s name I wish you the most blessed holiday.  Don’t forget to squeeze all your loved ones extra tight.

No comments: